Thursday 8 April 2010

It's a material life

I've become very comfortable working with Materials lately and I've moved on a long way from my water material, I still shudder when I remember my first attempt lol. I made a 'Tron' bridge the other day which gave off some really cool lighting effects, and today I figured out how to pan a texture down the Z no matter what the objects orientation in world space or how the UV's are laid out. It's only a small setup, but it helps me achieve some of the effects I've wanted for a long time and it's taken me 2 days to try and figure out. I spent yesterday trying to work out how ObjectOrientation works in the material editor, but I just couldn't get anything out of it, my guess is it's not fully implemented yet as it has no documentation. The only colour I could get out was the Blue (Z) which didn't help.
Today I took a different direction and worked with WorldPosition more. Playing around with it I managed to get the texture to pan, but it centred from the centre of the object, after some more fiddling, I figured out how to get the texture to pan completely down the Z. Now this might not looks brilliant for all textures as it can cause some stretching, but for what I want it's perfect, even the stretching works. Win Win.

No comments:

Post a Comment